Copyright, Citation and Content Guide
How to cite this web-edition as a whole
Bess of Hardwick's Letters: The Complete Correspondence, c.1550-1608, ed. by Alison Wiggins, Alan Bryson, Daniel Starza Smith, Anke Timmermann and Graham Williams, University of Glasgow, web development by Katherine Rogers, University of Sheffield Humanities Research Institute (April 2013), [date of access], http://www.bessofhardwick.org
How to cite an individual letter transcript
ID 100, Bess of Hardwick to James Crompe, 8 March [1560?], in Bess of Hardwick's Letters: The Complete Correspondence, c.1550-1608, ed. by Alison Wiggins, Alan Bryson, Daniel Starza Smith, Anke Timmermann and Graham Williams, University of Glasgow, web development by Katherine Rogers, University of Sheffield Humanities Research Institute (April 2013) [date of access], http://www.bessofhardwick.org/letter.jsp?letter=100
How to cite a web-essay
Graham Williams, 'The Language of Early Modern Letters: A Reader's Guide', in Bess of Hardwick's Letters: The Complete Correspondence, c.1550-1608, ed. by Alison Wiggins, Alan Bryson, Daniel Starza Smith, Anke Timmermann and Graham Williams, University of Glasgow, web development by Katherine Rogers, University of Sheffield Humanities Research Institute (April 2013) [date of access], [url for the contents page of the essay]
All material is made available free of charge for individual, non-commercial use only. The copyright and other intellectual property rights in the transcribed letter texts, metadata about the letters and the design of the letter display are owned by the University of Glasgow and University of Sheffield.
You are permitted to access, print and download letters from this site on the following conditions:
- use of all material on this site is for information and for non-commercial or your own personal use only; any copies of these pages saved to disk or to any other storage medium may only be used for subsequent viewing purposes or to print extracts for non-commercial or your own personal use.
- the content must not be modified in any way
- any use of the material for a permitted purpose must be accompanied by a full source citation.
No part of this site may be reproduced or stored in any other web site or included in any public or private electronic retrieval system or service without the University of Glasgow's prior written permission. Commercial exploitation of the transcribed letters, including use by radio or television programme makers and examination boards, is prohibited without licence from the University of Glasgow.
Image Copyrights and Permissions
© British Library Board (Cotton Caligula C. iii, fols. 561r-62v [ID 197]; Lansdowne 34, fols 4r-5v [ID 162]; Lansdowne 71, fols 3r-4v [ID 163]; Additional 24783, fols 113r-14v [ID 160]; Additional 12506, fols 209r-10v [ID 161])
By Permission of Folger Shakespeare Library, link to Folger Digital Image Collection http://luna.folger.edu/ [external site] (from the Papers of the Bagot Family, L.a.843 and L.a.84 [ID 001 and ID 002]; and 100 letters from the Papers of the Cavendish-Talbot Family X.d.428 (1-2), (4-6), (8-13), (15-20), (22-26), (28-32), (34-35), (38-39), (41-46), (48), (50-52), (54-57), (59-62), (67-72), (74-78), (81-89), (91-99), (102-104), (107-115), (118-122), (125-126), (129-131) [ID 003 - ID 101 and ID 154])
© Marquess of Salisbury, Hatfield House - images supplied by ProQuest from the Cecil Papers digital collection http://cecilpapers.chadwyck.com [external site] (Cecil Papers 9/62, 10/42, 10/70, 10/77, 32/48, 80/9, 250/16, 86/12, 135/112, 135/127, 135/129, 91/105, 135/150, 135/151, 92/1, 135/167, 135/128, 135/168-9, 202/158, 84/75, 99/114 [ID 120 - ID 140])
HM 803 [ID 106]: This item is reproduced by permission of The Huntington Library, San Marino, California
Reproduced from The Paget Papers by permission of Keele University Library (Paget Papers, MS 10, fols 43-44 [ID 210]); Paget Papers, MS 4, ff. 15- (D603K/1/4/9) [ID 103]; Paget Papers, MS 7, ff. 77- (D603K/1/7/47) [ID 104]; Paget Papers, MS 8, ff. 55- (D603K/1/8/38) [ID 105])
By permission of Lambeth Palace Library (Shrewsbury Papers MS 697, f. 181 [ID 193]; MS 698 fols 99r-100v [ID 191]; MS 699, f. 25 [ID 194]; MS 704, f. 151 [ID 195]; Talbot Papers MS 3196 fols 221-224 [ID 164]; MS 3197 fols 133-136, 287 [ID 165, ID 166]; MS 3198 fols 298r-299v, 172, 331r-331v [ID 167, ID 175, ID 176]; MS 3203 f. 267 [ID 177]; MS 3205 fols 34r-35v, 61r-61v, 58, 59r-60v, 62r-63v, 64r-65v, 66r-67v, 68r-69v, 70r-71v, 72, 73, 75r-76v [IDs 168, 169, 178-187]; MS 3206 fols 565-568, 571-574, 819-822, 885, 895-898, 929-932, 967, 1017-18 [IDs 170-174, 188, 189, 190; Miscellaneous Papers fols 58r-58v [ID 119])
By permission of The Trustees of the National Library of Scotland (MS 3657, fol. 15 [ID 118]; MS 1710, fols 23-24 [ID 220])
By permissions of The National Archives (SP 12/207, f. 8r-v (item 5) [ID 235]; SP 53/10, f. 79 (item 79) [ID 234]; SP 53/10, f. 84 (item 84), 4 folios [ID 221]; SP 12/238, ff. 173r-174v (item 116) [ID 159]; SP 46/13, ff. 298r-299v [ID 158]; SP 46/24, ff. 35r-36v [ID 157]; SP 12/207, f. 44 (item 31) [ID 156]; SP 12/185, ff. 1r-2v (item 1) [ID 153]; SP 12/183, ff. 7r-8v (item 4) [ID 152]; SP 12/180, ff. 53r-53v (item 22) [ID 151]; SP 12/172, ff. 64r-65v (item 50) [ID 150]; SP 12/170, ff.10r-10v (item 6) [ID 149]; SP 12/158, ff. 160r-161v (item 58) [ID 148]; SP 12/154, f. 122r-122v (item 71) [ID 147]; SP 12/153, ff. 85r-86v [ID 146]; SP 12/153, ff. 84r-84v (item 39) [ID 145]; SP 12/152/13, ff. 36r-36v (item 13) [ID 144]; SP 12/93, f. 102r-102v (item 19) [ID 143]; SP 53/9, f. 195r-195v [ID 243]; SP 53/9, f. 196r-196v [ID 244])
This web site brings together Bess of Hardwick's correspondence and aims to be complete, accurate and accessible. Additions and revisions will be made annually and details can be found at Forthcoming Updates. The current site, released April 2013, comprises:
- xml transcripts of 234 letters to and from Bess of Hardwick (transcription and xml mark-up by Alan Bryson, Anke Timmermann, Alison Wiggins and Graham Williams)
- Colour images of 185 letters from 8 archives, libraries and repositories
- 234 letter summaries and 90 biographies of correspondents (by Anke Timmermann, Alison Wiggins and Graham Williams): 22,708 words
- Background essays ('The Material Features of Early Modern Letters: A Reader's Guide' by Daniel Starza Smith, 18,017 words; 'Bess of Hardwick's Life in 12 Letters' and 'Editing Bess of Hardwick's Letters' by Alison Wiggins, 18,743 and 23,394 words; 'Tutorial: Reading Early Modern Handwriting' by Alison Wiggins and Graham Williams, 7,744 words; and 'The Language of Early Modern Letters: A Reader's Guide' by Graham Williams, 11,347 words): 79,245 words
- 6 podcasts written and produced by Anke Timmermann: 39:48
- Batch files containing all the XML transcripts of the letters - BessXML_v1_0.zip or BessXML_v1_0.tar.gz
- Batch files containg all the letters as PDFs - BessPDF_v1_0.zip or BessPDF_v1_0.tar.gz.